Sunday, June 17, 2012

Jazz Fest 2012 2nd Weekend, Night 1-

STARTING THE TRIP
Words cant describe the excitement that I felt going to New Orleans for the first time in my life at 41 years old (but I am going to attempt it). I have planned this trip for months. I have interviewed friends about the fest, the food, the town and even about the music....the music that I have loved for years.  I first got turned on to the sounds of New Orleans with The Grateful Dead's covers of Hey Pocky Way and Aiki-Aikio and their smoking hot collaboration with the Neville Brothers for a show back in 1987 (heard tapes/wasn't there).  Later on my brother and I checked out The Funky Meters at a little New Orleans themed bar (I think it was called The Gulf Coast) on Lincoln Avenue. We were sold on what in my opinion is the single hottest band in history......these guys cooked (more on them later).  That opened the door to The Radiators, The Subdudes, Dr John and a whole host of funky New Orleans goodness.  Even with this love of New Orleans, I never went there.

Stacey (my wife) and I were planning a trip to Puerto Rico.  The routine for our trip in Spring has been my employer flies us somewhere and pays for 3 days at a fancy hotel and we go a few days early or late to spend time on our own without the other employees.  As we were in the middle of planning, I realized that I am not the guy that will sit by the beach or pool and just relax.....I don't enjoy relaxing.  I want to rage, to go places, do stuff and take it in....music, food and culture is what I need. So, I took a look at flying from PR to New Orleans after the reward trip and going to The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  Within an hour of the thought, Stacey was sold and I had a room booked and our minds were made up.  I couldn't believe it. This was going to happen  JAZZFEST!!!!!  I was going to get to see people like George Porter Jr (bass player for the Meters) in his element.  Stacey was happy about seeing bands like the Zach Brown Band and the Eagles (who were scheduled for our weekend).I studied the restaurants, the music venues and jazzfest.  I looked at all the options and schedules.  Like peanut butter and chocolate, this made perfect sense. I just needed to be connected with this place.

We got into our hotel around 1:30 and grabbed a bite to eat at K-Paul (Chef Paul Prudhome's signature restaurant). Of course this being New Orleans, we ordered Gumbo and a Shrimp Po' Boy.  After a little walk around the French Quarter and an attempt to nap, we grabbed dinner with my friend (and ex step father) Bob at NOLA (one of Emeril Lagasse's three New Orleans restaurants).  I started with Gumbo and then Shrimp 'n Grits. Great meal/ great company!  On to the music!

BRING ON THE MUSIC- NIGHT 1
We hopped a cab across town to the Maple Leaf to see The Johnny Vidocovich Trio (Johnny Vidocovich, George Porter Jr and June Yamagishi)  with Special Guest Ivan Neville.  When I jumped out of the cab at the Leaf, George Porter Jr, was right there outside. Is this real?  This is one of the inventors of funk music (along with fellow Meters, Art Neville, Zigaboo Modeliste and Leo Nocentelli) and the father of  "funky-ass bass."  I threw all of my desire to be cool away and managed to say "George, can I get a picture with you?" There I was standing next to the man, who 20 years ago funkified my life back in Chicago.  He handles himself like the statesman he is.  After the picture, George went off to the Sushi place next door and Stacey and I went and checked out the Maple Leaf.


The Leaf is a small dive bar with a small music area, about half the size of a basketball court.  The stage looks crowded without the musicians on stage. At the back of the music area there is an outdoor patio where we went to hang out. This was a very cozy little place, with friendly people.  After some conversation with other music lovers, we went in to grab our spot about 10 people back from the stage.  Some tune up and Johnny Vidocovich starts to form a beat on his kit.  This groove was completely organic, not forced at all.  All of a sudden Johny starts into his beat poet routine with a rap "havin' fun.....beatin' on my drums."  George Picks up the groove and away we go.  About a song or two in and Ivan Neville comes on stage to take on the keys.  It is not a grand entrance, it is just another guy making it to his jam session. This band was hot. They didn't play a single song I have ever heard before but that is not what it is about.  This is improvisational give and take.

We were really getting in a grove when Stacey, tapped me on the shoulder to say "I need to go outside, I am really hot" (Stacey has been on meds that have caused heat flashes for the last month.)  She was going to go out back and I would catch up with her at the set break.  She started to say something incomprehensible and then passed out cold.  I grabbed her before she hit the floor and pulled her our of the show using my back to push people out of the way (as politely as possible). We went back to the hotel together and she looked much better.  She explained to me that she wouldn't feel good about me staying in with her when all the music is going on out there (did I mention, Stacey is the coolest wife on earth?)  I got a text from my friend Steve saying that he was leaving the Leaf to see The Bear Creek All Stars at One Eyed Jacks.  I knew nothing about them but was told George Porter Jr was showing up later.  So I went ahead and walked down the street to One Eyed Jack's( on Stacey's insistence.)

One Eyed Jacks was small bar with a back room that looked like a capacity of about 300.  When I walked in, I was blown away by what was happening on stage.  There was Eddie Roberts (of The New Mastersounds) on guitar, Robert Walter (of the Greyboy All Stars) on organ, Nikki Gillespie (now with Dumpstaphunk) on drums. I didn't know the brass section but they were great -Natalie Cressman on Trombone, Jennifer Hartswick on Trumpet, Joe Cohen on Sax and a tuba player whose name I don't know .  The Bear Creek All Stars were laying down some serious old school funk, no vocals just hot jazzy funk. This went on for about an hour and a half. I noticed that the back and side stage was starting to fill up with musicians. It was like word got out around town that this was the place to be.  Each one was impressed and each one was impressive. This was quickly turning into a Jam session for the ages.



After a short break and some stagehands plugging in a new amp, another set started but this time, it was led by the grand statesman of the funky-ass bass, George Porter Jr.

  At points through the night different musicians took the stage without any pomp and ceremony.....they were just as excited to get up there and jam as we were to see them
Here is a line up of who came out (along with the previously mentioned musicians)- It's a virtual "whose who" of modern funk:
Terrence Higgins from The Dirty Dozen Brass Band and The Warren Haynes Band-Drums
Alan Evans- Soulive-Drums
Adam Deitch-Lettuce, Dr Klaw, Break Science, 50cent, John Schofield-Drums
Neal Evans-Soulive, Lettuce - Keys and Tambourine
Roosevelt Collier- Lee Boys-  Lap Steel (A stand-up version of pedal steel)
Mike Wooten-Guitar
Ivan Neville- Dumpstaphunk, Dr Klaw, Keith Richards- Keys
Alicia Chakour-Warren Haynes Band, Nigel Hall Band- Vocals

Nigel Hall- Warren Haynes Band, Nigel Hall Band- Vocals, Keys, Tambourine
Eric Krasno- Lettuce, Soulive, Chapter Two, Dr. Klaw- -Guitar

Will Bernard- guitar
Ryan Zoidis- Lettuce, Shady Horns- Sax
James Casey- Sax
Eric Blooom- Trumpet
There were still a few more whose names I do not know.

The jam went on for another 2 hours.  Just the first night of jazzfest and I was in the most intense musical bliss of my life. No musical experience that I have ever had has compared to this. It was improvisational funk without being pretentious. This was not jamming to screw with my mind, far from it....we were part of this.....all on the same page, performers and crowd alike.  It's hard to think of music as "inclusive" but that might be the best word to describe it.  We were jamming with the musicians.  They were digging each other and bringing out the best of all of us.  When 5:00am rolled around, I was ruined.  It was Thursday morning, and we  had 4 days of music in front of us. New Orleans didn't hold back. It dropped the gauntlet and then kicked my ass in the first round.  It " let me know that all that I had done up until this point was kid's stuff.  I turned to my friend Steve and said "now what?" on the way out; to which he replied with a big smile "It's Jazzfest!"

Here is a nice clip from One Eyed Jack's (George Porter, Eddie Roberts, Nigel Hall, Nikki Gillespie, James Casey, Eric Krasno)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCt7_V4a88w

Stay tuned for Friday, my first day on the fairgrounds

                  


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I thought you might like to see my review and videos from this night: funkit.virose.net/?p=2474
    and here is the Maple Leaf audio: http://archive.org/details/JVT2012-05-02.JVT2012-05-02

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      I love your blog and go to it frequently . Sorry to just respond now but I am just starting to learn how to use and read responses to my blog. I look forward to meeting you in NOLA this year. I will look for you at Fiyafest!
      Eric

      Delete
  2. I would love to go to New Orleans to experience some of their great music. I also have a desire to listen to what live music Seattle has to offer. Pretty much I just want to have a good time with some sounds I haven't heard before.

    ReplyDelete