Sunday, April 7, 2013

Galactic with David Shaw (and other rants)

We need to start by setting the stage.

Galactic rolled into town for a much anticipated show with The Nigel Hall Band opening.   Nigel is one of my favorite vocalists today playing with Lettuce, Soulive and touring with Warren Haynes Band. He is the perfect combination of Stevie Wonder with Donny Hathaway and plays the keys well to boot.  Nigel's band was what appeared to be a no brainer combination of Erick Coomes (Lettuce), Adam "Schmeenz" Smirnoff (Lettuce) and Jermal Watson (respected NOLA percussionist).  I might create a number of enemies by saying that The Nigel Hall Band opener didn't do what I had hoped.  It almost seemed like they were restraining themselves out of respect for the headliner. They weren't bad but they were most deftly nothing more than an opener.  It was either an off night or lack of chemistry.

When Galactic came out, they sounded good with their NOLA Funk & Jazz, Hip Hop vibe with hints of the middle east rolled into it.  While they were good, they weren't making my head spin for the first few songs. (Side note: it may have been the audience as well.  A SHOW IS NOT A PLACE TO HAVE A CONVERSATION AND EXPRESS HOW DRUNK YOU ARE!!!  Go to a bar with your buddies, buy a case and stay home to enjoy each other's company but when one is at a concert...STFU!!!)  Then out came David Shaw from the Revivalists taking on the role of lead vocals tonight.   This is a spot that usually seems to be filled by Corey Glover of Living Colour (who is back on tour). David was the difference maker. This man's stage presence brought the show to the next level.  Showmanship is not a difference maker with me; and David is not up there with shtick.  He has a stage presence and energy that this show needed.  Galactic then turned it up a notch for the rest of the night fueled by David's energy.  Other highlights were Robert Mercurios' solo stage bass lead (I do love me some nasty bass) and then they put an exclamation point on this night closing with Led Zeppelin's The Levee's Gonna Break



On to the important message about David Shaw.  Before this I have seen David perform as a guest with Dragon Smoke for one song and that's it. After seeing him I did some research on line and got to know his band The Revivalists.  I can safely say that The Revivalists are the most exciting new (around since 2007) rock band I have heard in years.  They are giving us a taste of Rock and Roll that is possibly the most refreshing thing to happen to rock since Nirvana.  Get to see these guys (or David in whatever carnation you can) while you can, they may just be the next big thing.  The band is fantastic and David is a charismatic, energetic and talented stage leader

Here's a little taste of The Revivalists:


1 comment:

  1. I just love to do parties and keep organizing such parties regularly but this time I also want to plan an event like this for my music freak friends. So, this time I am looking for best event spaces and location for party. Can you help me with my search please?

    ReplyDelete